Since graduating from West Virginia University College of Law, Chad Mooney has engaged in a broad litigation practice. He has represented clients in many trial courts across Virginia and the Supreme Court of Virginia, as well as the United States District and Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern and Western District and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
As part of his practice, he represents individuals and local and regional businesses. He assists clients with assessment, management, and, if necessary, litigation of issues, personal injury claims and commercial disputes. Chad advises individual and business clients of their rights prior to and during a lawsuit, with an eye towards the financial impact and risks of litigation. Although he employs strategies to resolve disputes peacefully, not all disputes can be resolved without court intervention. In those instances, Chad aggressively fights for his clients.
Chad also enjoys time with his three daughters. His hobbies include running, biking, and tennis.
- Obtained a $300,000 settlement for an injured driver whose vehicle and trailer were rear-ended, resulting in the client undergoing back surgery.
- Obtained a $440,000 settlement in a personal injury products liability case involving a step ladder.
- Obtained a $150,000 settlement for a person injured on stairs in a poorly lit parking lot at a recreational facility, resulting in client undergoing a total knee replacement.
- Obtained a $300,000 settlement for a minor child who suffered facial scarring and partial loss of ear due to dog attack.
- Represented two twin children in claim against dog owner for injuries sustained as a result of a dog attack and obtained a combined settlement of $80,000.
- Represented a minor girl who sustained facial and head scarring from a head-on automobile accident caused by a drunk driver, resulting in a $60,000 settlement.
- Represented a regional bank in collecting on a nearly $7 million debt from a commercial land developer, using a wide range of sophisticated collection tools and practices.
- Represented creditors throughout Virginia in pursuing unpaid car loans and other debts.
- Represented a national gasoline retailer in pursuing a debt worth over $250,000 from an individual gas station operator who filed for bankruptcy, which the bankruptcy court deemed to be a debt that was not dischargeable in bankruptcy.
- Represented a shareholder in a derivative lawsuit against corporate officers who allegedly engaged in self-dealing and made improper distributions, which resulted in a $400,000 settlement for the shareholder.
- Obtained a $145,000 settlement for an injured driver whose vehicle was rear ended by another vehicle while waiting on children to board a school bus.
Reported and Unpublished Cases
- Young v. Draper, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 20363 (W.D. Va. 2017)
- Vance v. Beeman, 2015 Va. Unpub. LEXIS 9 (Va. 2015)
- CVLR Performance Horses, Inc. v. Wynne, 792 F.3d 469 (4th Cir. 2015)
- CVLR Performance Horses, Inc. v. Wynne, 977 F. Supp. 2d, 598 (W.D. Va. 2013)
- Racetrac Petroleum, Inc. v. Khan (In re Khan), 461 B.R. 343 (Bankr. E.D. Va. 2011)
- Blanks v. Greyhound Lines, Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14178 (S.D. W.Va. 2007)
- Barnett v. Commtec/Pomeroy Computer Res., Inc., 439 F. Supp. 2d 598 (S.D. W.Va. 2006)
Honors & Affiliations
- Lynchburg Business Magazine Top Lawyers of Greater Lynchburg for Appellate Law and Commercial Litigation (2016)
- Lynchburg Living Magazine Top Lawyers of Greater Lynchburg for Appellate Law and Commercial Litigation (2016)
- Lynchburg Business Magazine’s “Top 20 Under 40” Professional in Lynchburg Area (2015)
- Virginia Legal Aid Society Certificate of Appreciation for Pro Bono Work (2011)
- West Virginia University Law Review - Volume 117, Associate Editor
- Lynchburg Business Magazine Top Lawyers of Greater Lynchburg for Civil Trial and Personal Injury (2018/2019)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association - Board of Governors / Membership Committee Co-Chair (2022-2023)
- Lynchburg Bar Association – Board Member (2017-Present); Member (2007-Present)
- Virginia Legal Aid Society – Panel Attorney for Committee on Pro Bono Divorces (2010-2014)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association - Membership Committee (2019-Present)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association - CLE Committee (2019-Present)
- Amherst County Chamber of Commerce – Treasurer and Board Member (2010-Present)
- Lynchburg Morning Rotary Club – President (2014-2015); Member (2009-Present)
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association - Young Trial Lawyers, "Dealing with Difficult People" CLE (February 2023)
- Speaker, Nelson-Amherst Beef Producers Association, “Keep Calm and Love Cattle! How to Avoid Common Legal Issues Between Beef Producers and Neighbors” (October 2017)
- Speaker, Central Virginia Fruit School, “Love Thy Neighbor: Issues Between Farm Owners and Surrounding Property Owners” (February 2016)
- Speaker, Lynchburg Regional Chamber of Commerce, “Defamation in the Digital Age” (September 2015)
- Speaker, Lynchburg Regional Chamber of Commerce, “Defamation in the Digital Age” (April 2015)
- Speaker, Central Virginia Fruit School, “Protecting the Farm: Premises Liability Issues in the Agritourism Industry” (February 2015)
- Speaker, Amherst Co. Chamber, “How to Prevent Employees from Stealing Your Business: A Legal Seminar on Non-Compete Agreements” (April 2013)
- Speaker, Amherst Co. Chamber, “Shielding Your Business From Troublesome Employees and Shielding Owners From Personal Liability” (April 2012)