Jim has practiced law for over 37 years and brings to bear on each matter his wide range of additional past experience that includes litigation, real estate, and lease and contract negotiation, all of which allow him to be a useful resource to clients. He is a native of Lynchburg with deep roots in the community and strongly believes in the necessity of maintaining vibrant local businesses to ensure the continued health and prosperity of the Lynchburg region. Jim is focused on his clients’ success and wellbeing and takes pride in bringing to his clients solutions that are as simple as is possible and clearly understood. He believes in a team approach and values collaboration with his client’s other advisors to provide the best possible outcomes.
When not busy helping clients, Jim plays decent tennis, is an avid woodworker, an active gardener, a voracious reader, and finds time to do a little writing on the side.
Jim enjoys time with his wife Lisa and opportunities to be involved with his children and his grandchildren.
- Has created and executed sophisticated estate plans for high net worth clients.
- Has guided client business owners with regard to the purchase and sale of companies and company assets to help them create value.
- Has successfully helped numerous business owners with regard to ownership and management transitions of closely held and family owned business.
- Represented a large nuclear power design and manufacturing company with the planning and formation of a joint venture with a large ship manufacturer to facilitate the joint design and manufacture of large nuclear reactor containers.
Reported and Unpublished Cases
- County Of York v. Peninsula Airport Commission, 235 Va. 373, 369 S.E.2d 665 (1988)
- Virginia School of the Arts, Inc. v. Eichelbaum, 254 Va. 373, 493 S.E.2d 510 (1997)
Honors & Affiliations
- Lynchburg Business Magazine Top Lawyers of Greater Lynchburg for Business Law and Wills, Trusts, and Estates (December, 2016)
- Lynchburg Living Magazine Top Lawyers of Greater Lynchburg for Business Law and Wills, Trusts, and Estates (January, 2017)
- Lynchburg Business Magazine Top Lawyers of Greater Lynchburg for Wills, Trusts, and Estates (2018/2019)
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- Lynchburg Bar Association
- Lynchburg Regional Business Alliance – Past Chairman
- Spring Hill Cemetery Association – Board (Lifetime Member)
- Past service on the boards of numerous other community organizations