Luke Malloy is a native of Amherst County, however he attended law school and began his legal career in Charleston, South Carolina. During his time in Charleston, Luke gained extensive trial experience while serving the community as an assistant public defender with the Charleston County Public Defender’s Office. Luke later entered private practice representing injured parties throughout the state of South Carolina. Before attending law school, Luke earned his B.A. at James Madison University. While his passion is trial work, Luke understands that it is often best to settle matters without the need for litigation. Whether he is in or out of the courtroom, Luke fights zealously to achieve the best results for his clients.
His employment law practice includes counseling management, litigation services, and handling employment claims with administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Virginia Employment Commission, and the U.S. Department of Labor. Some of the many employment issues he handles include discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, noncompetition disputes, wage and hour claims, breach of contract, and employee benefits. Luke also assists employers with the preparation and revision of employee handbooks, employment contracts, severance agreements, noncompete agreements, and other forms of planning designed to avoid employment disputes.
Luke is a member of the Virginia and South Carolina bars, and is admitted to practice before the Federal District Courts of the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia. Luke spends his spare time at his family’s residence in the mountains of Amherst County, where he enjoys fishing and hiking.
- Represented injured clients throughout the state of South Carolina, resolving hundreds of cases by negotiating favorable settlements. Participated in civil litigation including discovery, depositions, mediations, and motions.
- Represented clients in high-stakes criminal litigation, resolving over a thousand charges. Tried numerous jury trials to verdict, and appeared in court for all hearings necessary for the defense of felony charges.
- Extensive experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in the Federal and State courts of Virginia.
Honors & Affiliations
- Outstanding public service – over 100 pro bono hours while attending the Charleston School of Law, April 2011
- National Criminal Defense College – Trial Practice Institute, Mercer Georgia, June 2013
- Graduate of the 45th class of Leadership Lynchburg
- Virginia State Bar 2019
- Virginia Bar Association 2019
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association 2020
- Lynchburg Bar Association 2019
- Lynchburg Regional Society for Human Resources Management 2019
- South Carolina State Bar 2011
- South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys 2012-2017
- South Carolina Association for Justice 2017 – 2019
- South Carolina Bar Mentoring Program, Mentor
- American Association for Justice 2017-2019
- Society of Human Resource Management
- Lynchburg Regional SHRM
- Free Clinic of Central Virginia, Board Member
- Macedonia Community Association, Board Member
- Roads to Recovery, Board Member
- Leadership Lynchburg, Council Member
- Lynchburg Daily Bread, Board Member